Sunday, March 15, 2009

Uh?????????????

Well, my weekend of poker actually started out pretty well. I got in a couple hours, and was winning on Bodog, Interpoker and Cake at all stakes from $1/2 to $4/8. I'd boosted my bankroll back up to $17,300.

Then came an hour of pain. On one $4/8 table, I was completely card dead, and in 50 hands I had a VPIP of 5%, and had won a total of 1 hand - 62o from the BB .....

On another $4/8 table, I had a vpip of around 20% and was hitting flops pretty hard .. and then getting screwed. I had a wtsd of a whopping 70% .... and a w$sd at a miniscule 15%. I guess its' best explained with a few examples.....

Hand 1:

$4/$8 Limit Holdem • 5 Players. (huge fish had just left 2nd to my right. sigh)
UTG 420.50 (50/5 fish ... wish i had position on him but that seat never opened)
CO 442.50
BTN160.10
SB 420.50
Hero (BB) 269.35
Pre-Flop (1.5 SB, 5 players) Hero is BB with QsQh (about time I got a hand!)

UTG calls, 3 folds, Hero raises, UTG calls (heads up against the fish .. good)
Flop (4.5 SB, 2 players)

Qc9s5s (awesome!)

Hero bets, UTG calls (here fishy fish)
Turn (3.2 BB, 2 players)

Ts (okay that's probably the worst possible card in the deck that someone could have peeled for. KJ hits their straight, and it hits the flush draw)

Hero bets, UTG calls (nevertheless I have to bet here. He is a fish and with his call he probably didn't hit anything still. Maybe he has a single spade?)
River (5.2 BB, 2 players)

Jh (you gotta be kiddin me. that puts the oesd on the board ... i guess a spade would have been worse ....)

Hero checks, UTG bets, Hero calls (gotta crying call here as there's a fair shot i'm in front)
Final Pot: 14.2 BB
UTG shows Kh2h (Uh?????????????)

UTG wins 7.0 BB ( won +3.5 BB )
Hero lost -3.5 BB

Hand 2:

$4/$8 Limit Holdem • 6 Players
UTG 88.50 (45/7 .. showed down too much too)
Hero (UTG+1) 345.50
CO 394.00 (50/5 fish from above hand)
BTN 452.50
SB 144.30
BB 439.00

Pre-Flop (1.5 SB, 6 players) Hero is UTG+1 with KhTh (not bad)

UTG calls, Hero raises, CO 3-bets, 1 fold, SB calls, 1 fold, UTG calls, Hero calls (dont mind limpy fish coming in. Not overly happy with the 3 bet from the other fish who is reasonably tight with his PFRs)
Flop (13.0 SB, 4 players)

9hKdTs (two pair for me. QT, TT or 99 could be a concern from UTG but unlikely. KK is the only worry from the CO, so i'm most likely in front.

SB checks, UTG checks, Hero bets, CO calls, SB calls, UTG raises, Hero 3-bets, CO calls, SB folds, UTG calls (hmm utg c/r ... but i'm not giving him credit for a better hand yet. Big pair for the CO?)
Turn (11.5 BB, 3 players)

2h (gives me my flush draw as well as 2 pair. nice)

UTG checks, Hero bets, CO calls, UTG calls (given both just call i think i'm in front)
River (14.5 BB, 3 players)

Jc (well thats a horrible horrible card for me putting the straight on the board)

UTG checks, Hero checks, CO bets, UTG calls, Hero calls (gotta crying call here - pot is massive!!)
Final Pot: 34.6 BB
CO shows AhQh (where is the justice from hand 1??? f me. Not a horrible beat though in hindsight as he basically had odds to chase it ... and he often chased and missed ... against other opponents ... )
UTG shows Tc9s
CO wins 17.1 BB ( won +12.1 BB ) (about a $135 pot. would have made a big difference to my final results .... but that's often how it is - a single showdown often is all it takes)
UTG lost -5.0 BB
Hero lost -5.0 BB
SB lost -2.0 BB

I also managed to lose 35BBs on a $1/2 table within about 50 hands. Here the villain is running at 85/25 with a 70% wtsd, and a 80% w$sd ... He was also super aggro on all streets with basically crap and was consistently hitting miracle turns and rivers.

Hand 3:

$1/$2 Limit Holdem • 5 Players
UTG 102.75
CO 42.00
Hero (BTN) 77.50
SB 41.20
BB 32.43 (above mentioned muppet. started with literally $10)
Pre-Flop (1.5 SB, 5 players) Hero is BTN with Qh8h

2 folds, Hero raises, SB calls, BB calls
Flop (6.0 SB, 3 players)

6h8c5h (sweet .. top pair and the flush draw)

SB checks, BB bets, Hero raises, SB calls, BB 3-bets, Hero 4-bets, SB calls, BB calls (i'm happy to cap here with my big draw and two people along for the ride. BB could easily have just top pair, and maybe a bigger kicker)
Turn (9.0 BB, 3 players)

Qc (nice .. two pair now and still the flush draw. I should be in front)

SB checks, BB bets, Hero raises, SB folds, BB 3-bets, Hero calls (not super happy with the 3 bet from BB, but I figured I was probably in front and wanted sb to fold .. maybe he has trips?)
River (15.0 BB, 2 players)

Tc (that's reasonably blank even with the FD on the board)

BB bets, Hero calls
Final Pot: 33.5 BB
BB shows 4d7s (Uh?????????????)

BB wins 16.5 BB ( won +9.5 BB )
Hero lost -7.0 BB
SB lost -3.0 BB

Current bankroll: $17,000

2 comments:

PHLUKKE said...

I'm glad to know this can happen to the best of us.
I am ashamed to admit that I have relapsed into raging against the fish which is the root of my current malaise. sigh
regards and good luck . L4

parttimebonuschaser said...

hehe yeah mate. the beats always happen ... just hopefully not too many in a row too often!

i still dunno what the k2 guy thought he had on that flop ... still i'll be looking for him in future - especially if he's goin to play with a $400 stack.