Monday, December 8, 2008

Playing with fish

I played all of 20 minutes yesterday, and ran quite well, ending up about 30BBs across 4 tables.

In that time though, I really didn't have any hands of significance. A number of hands I simply had something like AK, AJ, KQ and had flopped top pair, and at one stage the same fish had called me down chasing a gut shot four times all the way to the river, and even called my river bet with 3rd pair no kicker, or even just air.

Needless to say that betting every street versus someone chasing a gutshot is always going to be profitable in the long term, and I guess this emphasises why value betting every street is important versus these types of players. Of course you get sucked out on when they hit their four outer ... but that is only happening about 16% of the time.

On another table I had position on a true maniac. In the first 8 hands on that table he raised or 3 bet every hand preflop. On one early hand I reraised with KQ, but a 3rd player then capped it. An A on the flop and I couldnt continue. A bit more patience and I eventually received AJ and was able to 3 bet to isolate the maniac. Flop was A86r where he bets and I obviously raise. He 3 bets and I cap. Turn T and he bets which I raise and he calls. River is a 2 and he checks and I bet. He calls, and shows 52o ... well I guess at least he had a pair on the river... but thanks for the cash. I quite enjoy playing against the maniacs. Its just a game of patience, waiting for a half decent hand, isolating, and then value betting if I hit, or often calling down with a marginal made hand. Higher variance, but in the long run, very profitable.

Current bankroll: $15,100

4 comments:

Unknown said...

First of all congratulations with your impressive bankroll! I couldn't deduce from your latest post whether you play limit or no limt. If it is the former then perhaps you would be interested in writing some articles about limit hold'em for my poker article database? You can place your own affiliation links in the articles you subit which should give you a long term income. Check out my site at www.pokerbankrollblog.com, and if you're interested drop me a line at pokerbrb@gmail.com. If not, perhaps you could be interested in doing some link exchange instead.

Best Regards

Mark

parttimebonuschaser said...

Interesting i'll have a look.

I play fixed limit rather than no limit. (so far anyways)

Unknown said...

Hi

That explains why you only lost 50$ during the bad run you describe in your latest article:-)

Best Regards

Mark

parttimebonuschaser said...

ha yeah ... although generally speaking it takes a while to get 50BBs back at limit if you're goin at 1 or 2 BB / 100